Saturday, October 17, 2015

34 Weeks, 3 Days

Dear Baby Batts,

Today was baby shower day!! Best. Day. Ever. Oh, baby girl, I know you are cuddled deep inside me, but I hope you felt the love and joy surrounding us from all our friends and family. I hope you heard the laughter and the tears and the prayers and the songs! I was overwhelmed, little one, but the love people have for me and your daddy... and the love they have for YOU, before they've even met you! I cried multiple times, just overcome by the goodness of the Lord and the faithfulness of His people.

Memaw and Ms. Linda planned the whole day. There were tables set up with activities (since sitting around at baby showers is a little boring). People could put their thumbprint on the tree Leona painted for you, decorate headbands, write notes on diapers, guess baby food flavors, play "The Price is Right" with baby items, and write notes on blankets. I got to walk around, visiting with everyone and having fun, too!

After that, Memaw did a devotion. Really, she just talked to me, her daughter, about my role as a mama. And it was everything that I need to hear from her. Prayer will matter, babe. It does matter now. Memaw said that there is a special something in a mama's prayer for her babies. Rest assured little girl, I pray for you daily. Memaw also encouraged me to read from the Bible to you daily. I commit to that, too. Memaw opened up some time of prayer and hearing the prayers some women spoke over us was so sweet. I'll never forget that time. The Lord was so close. He is so dear.
KD took this picture of me and Memaw during the devotion.

Then Ms. Linda and Lesley lightened the mood by singing us a song they wrote to the tune of "Santa Baby" - it was called "Ruthie Baby!" It discussed you "hurrying down the Woo Hoo tonight!" Their dance with feather boas made us all crack up!!

Then it was time for cake. And what a beautiful cake it was! Your name was on top, and it looked like a little ruffle-butt baby peeking into a present. It tasted delicious, too - white cake with a raspberry filling! Yummy.
Sweet little cake!!!!

Then presents! Auntie Hannah kept a list going for me and I opened gift after gift after gift: books, diapers, giftcards, a travel bassinet, a hamper, clothes, Baby Ruth candy bars, blankets... the list goes on!
Presents loaded in the back of the Jeep!

The party ended after the presents and everyone slowly dissipated and returned to their Saturday life. But Ruth, I'll never forget the love, the joy. I'll never forget the excitement of celebrating a life we've yet to meet with such eager anticipation. We are so loved, little one.
The only picture I have of me from the shower on my phone, with sweet Caitlin

Sitting at home later with your daddy, I kept looking at all the lovely gifts overwhelming our living room. We had already separated them into piles to be put away (somewhere in our little home!), and I just started crying, feeling so cherished. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, maybe it was simply the love of our family (biological and not) that made it such a sweet moment.
Presents in the living room!

Some sweet gifts we received.

I'm very glad Grandma Lynda, Aunt Kendra, and Sami could be up here for the shower, to celebrate you with us. After all the turmoil early on - all the worry about you and my placenta - how sweet to know we are this close to meeting you, little one.

I'm so excited.
Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment