Monday, October 12, 2015

33 Weeks, 5 Days

Dear Baby Batts,

I was so excited that your daddy didn't have class tonight! What a blessing. We spent the evening putting together your cradle!
All the pieces strewn about.

Building the base.

Screwing together the bed.

Sliding in the bottom board.

Hung and done!

Finished product, minus the mattress, with a blanket I made you!
This cradle was a labor of love. From sanding off the cherry-red paint to priming and painting, to finally assembling, I'm so glad to have it done and be able to put you to sleep in it. Next up: Fit the mattress, buy a mattress pad and sheets, and make your little bed.

But darling - don't be in a rush to come! This is the only time in your whole life when I will have you all to myself. Others can feel you kick from time to time, but I feel you all the time. I feel your little tiny feet pressing against my abdomen, just above my belly button, bracing yourself for the world outside. I feel the roundness of your little baby butt, nestled above my right hip bone. I feel you rolling over, squirming, and making yourself known in my world. And you are known.

As soon as you are born though, people will be clamoring to hold you, to talk to you, to be with you. And Ruthie, to be honest, I'm not sure that I'll want to share you all the time! I think I'm going to want to keep you close to me - close to your daddy and me - more than I'll want you to be passed around our congregation on a Sunday morning.

We won't be able to keep you little forever. Eventually, the time will come for you to be born and start learning and exploring the world around you. But I'm not anxious for that day to come, nor am I impatient for it. I like this time. This special time of just me and you. Sleepless nights, constant bathroom breaks, overwhelming thirst and all. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Love love love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment