Saturday, September 26, 2015

31 Weeks, 3 Days

Dear Baby Batts,

Tonight, I watched the play "Jane Eyre" with Juliet and Ana at Valley Performing Arts! We had such a fun time, just chatting and being together:
Ana, Juliet, and me
At one point, Juliet leaned over and whispered, "Can you imagine Ruthie up there one day?" Right now, no! I want you to be little in my tummy, safe from rejection and fear and hurt, forever!

But simultaneously, Ruth, I so desperately want you to grow into the woman the Lord wants you to be... and I know you can't do that while remaining in the womb. I want you to laugh and dance and really LIVE, experiencing the joy (and the pain) that come along with it.

It kind of reminds me of when I was in India a couple years ago (or, like 6 years ago!). One day, we went to a small "mountain" near a village and climbed to the top with some locals. There was a rock about halfway up and I, along with a couple other girls, climbed the rock. The view from the top was amazing. We could see the whole valley below us. But then the guys called to us, telling us that there was another rock a little further up that we should all climb. To be honest, Ruth, I didn't want to - I was content and comfortable with the view I had there. But I remember thinking, "What if the view is even better at the other rock? Will I settle for this one when the other one could be great?" So I climbed down, walked up the mountain, and scampered up the other rock. And baby girl - the view was so much better. We were way above the trees, above everything, and could see for miles:
Taking it in.

I just remember the Lord whispering to my heart - "Don't settle for the lower rock." And I'm so glad I didn't.

I hope you never settle for the lower rock, dear daughter. Whether that means auditioning for a play instead of sitting in the audience, swinging for a home run instead of bunting, or following the Lord to other countries instead of spending your summers at home, I hope you always strive for the higher rock. I hope you always follow the Lord to that rock.

And in those hard moments, remember Psalm 61:2 - "From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment