Thursday, April 9, 2015

7 Weeks, 1 Day

Dear Baby Batts,

Oh, my heart is so happy. I can hardly keep from smiling. I want to burst with joy and anticipation!

Last night we saw you, all .94cm of you. You are the same length as my pinky fingernail is across. Last night, laying in bed, I cried because you are so small... so delicate and so tiny... but already so precious to your daddy and me. Your daddy and I just kept staring at the little screen when we saw you blip up. I could hardly take my eyes off you... but I did turn to see your daddy with a look of pride and love and awe on his face.

We are so enamored.

We heard your little heart beating 150 BPM. It sounded like a horse: thump-thump-thump-thump. Loud and clear. I cried when I heard it, finally knowing that you are alive and well in my tummy. According to a website, you are likely to be a little girl... but we decided not to find out. You're going to surprise us. For nine months, only you and God know. I like that you two have a secret like that. Now that we have seen you and heard you, we were told there was a MUCH smaller change of losing you. Praise the Lord.

On the ultrasound we received, you look like a little white blob... but I know that you are growing in there, developing hands and feet, fingers and toes, little ear buds and a tiny nose. And even though you just look like a bean, you are OUR little bean. Our baby Batts bean.  You measured right at 7 weeks, on the dot. We were just a day off in our counting! I marked your weeks on my calendar at work so that I know where you are... all the way through week 40! You'll be a Thanksgiving baby, and Lord knows we are already so thankful for you.

We showed your first picture to everyone: Memaw and Papa, Pastor Tom and Ms. Linda, Janelle, your aunties and uncles. I wanted to show the lady at our doctor's office, but I was afraid she'd think we were odd. But I did already frame your little picture and we will hang it in our apartment next week, for our college and career Bible study to see soon.

The Lord is using tiny needles to knit you together, and I rejoice that He started with your heart. I love that that is the first organ to really develop and hold its own. Your heart. The thing that pumps you full of blood but also houses your passions and emotions. The seat of who you are. Oh little one, I pray that you love the Lord with all your heart. That you follow and submit to Him daily in your life.

Donna, our midwife, said that everything looks perfect. My body is healthy, ready, and able to care for you. Your body is prepped to grow big and strong - and already is! My bones are able to deliver a normal-sized baby (so please don't grow TOO big and strong!).

And we are already preparing for your arrival! After our appointment, your daddy had time to kill before returning to work. We went to Target and bought a box of diapers for you and a gray maternity dress for me! I wanted to wait to see you before we bought anything like that.

Oh, my little one. Keep growing. Soon you'll be large enough for me to hold, and I can't wait. We love you so.

Love always,
Mama
Your first picture! Can't wait to see you again on May 8th

No comments:

Post a Comment