Monday, January 4, 2016

1 Month

Dear Ruthie,

Oh my lands, how are you already one month old?! Cliche, I know, but time really does fly.
Cuddles today at Memaw and Papa's house.

Little girl in a big chair.

Sleepy baby.

Some of my favorite things about you are:

  • Sometimes, after you sneeze, you make this cute "ahh-ohh" sound.
  • You get the hiccups all the time (and usually take them with a grain of salt... for a while. When you are frustrated with them though, we can tell!).
  • That ultra sad face you make sometimes, where you whole body seems to frown (your papa joked that he didn't know where you got that from! I have a feeling he meant you got it from me...).
  • You fit so perfectly at my breast that I know you were made to be there and my body was made to feed you. You eat like a champion, Ruth!
  • You sleep so soundly on your papa's chest... but you also have learned how to pull his chest hair - which is NOT one of his favorite things!
  • Your long dark hair has one section of red in it. It's a fun mix between your daddy's dark hair and my own reddish hair. We're excited to see what color it ultimately turns.
  • Your eyes fluctuate between hazel and gray most of the time.
  • You usually sleep 3-4 hours at a time at night.
  • You like to curl up in a little ball, feet tucked up, when you are tired and we hold you. I love that.
  • The way your head smells after a bath = heavenly.
  • You have feet just like mine and long fingers so you can play the guitar like your daddy.
Some of your recent milestones:
  • You are content to sit in your little chair for up to 30 minutes now! You like it best when the little vibrator is on.
  • We finally got you to sleep in your cradle (at least some of the time - mostly for naps, but we're working on nights, too), thanks to this book.
  • You'll take a bottle! When I gave you one today (for the first time), you sucked on it for a second and gave me a look like, "I don't want this pacifier!" Then you realized my breastmilk came out of it and you got so excited and happy! I literally laughed out loud in the parking lot at Carrs.
  • You have taken a pacifier... about 5 times total. They aren't your favorite thing, so instead you usually suck on our pinkies or the sides of our fingers.
  • You can track people with your eyes! More than once, we've seen you watch me or daddy when we walk past you.
  • You recognize my voice! When I say something where you can see me, you usually turn to look at me.
  • You've smiled at me now!
  • We went on our first mommy / daughter outing today: to visit Memaw at work, to go to my office, and to stop at the store. And we did quite well, I think. I nursed you once, you had a messy diaper, and you didn't even cry in the store. #winning
  • Papa babysat you for the first time today while your daddy and I went to a doctor's appointment... and you did great! 
We are already so proud of the little lady you are and are becoming. We tell you daily that you are doing great - and you are! You are an awesome little kid and we are blessed to be your mommy and daddy.

Tonight, during your bedtime routine, you sat between me and your daddy, just listening to me read a story from this book (a Christmas gift from Uncle Brad, Aunt Paige, and Blaire). We sang "Jesus Loves Me" and you happily listened. We took you to our room, where your cradle is located, and prayed over you, like always, before laying you down, shushing you, and leaving. I love those quiet moments in the evening, when you are almost asleep and we get to just speak God's word over you. I hope they slowly engrain the Truth of His Love and the Gospel into your mind and heart.

XOXO,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment