Friday, December 18, 2015

2 Weeks Old

Dear Ruthie,

We had a busy day today - your two-week birthday!

You had a doctor's appointment this afternoon. When they weighed and measured you, you clocked in at OVER EIGHT POUNDS. Oh my manta, little lady. I knew you were feeding well, but to gain 14 ounces in two weeks?! Yikes. You are also 21 inches long now. Your daddy and I think you are about to have a growth spurt: getting some chunk on you so you can grow taller.

You no longer fit into newborn clothes. A sleeper we had you in earlier this week was way too small when we tried to put it on you last night. We're moving into the 0-3 month clothes now. Crazy!

Tonight, our College & Career group came over (well, just Juliet and Caleb) for our Christmas party! We went to Walmart to buy $5 presents for a white elephant gift exchange, then came back home to exchange them, eat some dinner, decorate sugar cookies, and rerax. You, however, got fussy! So I spent a large chunk of the party feeding you in our bedroom. That's okay. I like the baby snuggles.
Your Christmas party outfit, complete with baby Sorrel boots.
I can't believe that two  weeks ago, we were welcoming you into our family at Mat-Su Regional. You were in my arms, outside of my tummy, and oh-so-perfect. Now you weigh 8 pounds and are becoming a chunky little thing.... and to us, you are still perfect.

We love seeing your personality emerge. You make the most exaggerated sad faces - complete with a frown that takes up your whole face. You get colicky every night from 9:00pm to midnight. When you lay on someone's chest, you push your body up until your head is resting under their chin. You prefer sleeping on your side rather than your back and you do NOT like to be swaddled. You wiggle out of a swaddling as soon as we get you in one. You like your cradle the most when it is rocking, but most nights you still like to sleep on our chests in the living room. When you are really sleeping deeply, your mouth drops open. Your arms flail out when you are moved suddenly. When you nurse, you rest one hand, open and relaxed, on my bare chest, as if to make sure I'm not going anywhere, that I'm still there while you receive your nourishment.

I'm not going anywhere, little girl. I'm your mama. I'll always be there for you.

I love you.
- Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment