Thursday, February 11, 2016

2 Months & 1 Week

Dear Ruthie,

From where I sit in the living room, I can see across our apartment, through our bedroom door, and through the slats of your cradle to where you are sleeping fitfully on your tummy. The last couple days, you've been battling a cold. We were up with you every couple hours last night, changing diapers and cleaning out your nose. We held you as you cried, as snot dripped down your face and mingled with the bubbles you love to blow.

Your naps have been short today because after too long, you can't breathe well through your nose. Your coughs woke us up last night - but you slept through them - as you tried to ease the icky stuff stuck in there.

I hate that you are sick. I hate that I can't just take it away from you.

And I know that I'll feel that way often throughout your life: when you fall the first time you try to walk. When friends don't invite you along. When you have your first broken heart. When you fail at something or are teased or feel invisible. I'll want to take away all of that pain.

I can't. It's impossible.

But there is One who can. He alone knows all your pain, all your emotions, all your fears. He has endured them all... and so much more. I can't take away your pain, but He can. He can make all things good again.

Your daddy and I pray for you everyday to know Him. We pray that you follow Him, not turning to the right or to the left. We pray you desire to serve Him throughout your whole life.

You're sick right now - physically ill. But spiritually ill too, baby girl. You - even you - are a sinner in need of redemption. And the One to heal and redeem is so close!

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment